Sunday, September 12, 2010

Mommy, I love you

Till now that I'm a grown up working adult, I began to cherish more of the times I spent with my mother and will try to spend time with her, bring her out for dinner and shopping. Once, i even slept beside her, asking her to pat me and scratch my head to sleep like I like to ask her to when I was still a child. My mum is 55 this year. She doesn't look as old but recently her health is not as good as before. Her tyroid sort of went out of control, leading her to lose 4kgs in 4 months and causing her legs to feel numb as according to various doctors, her chest pains seemed to be due to tyroid and not a blockage of the arteries. Well...she had tyroid since the late 30s. Seeing her coming down with all these illnesses made me heartache. I want to take care of her and lived with her forever.

Past wk I was reflecting back on the past when me and my bro were still young kids - primary school children. My family was poor. On and off loansharks will come to my house and ask for payment. Sometimes they splash red paint on my door and vandalise the walls. The upkeep of the entire house mainly comes from my mum's meagre income. Though she scrimp and save, however, when it comes to buying things for my bro and myself, she is willing to sacrifice some of her savings. I remember when it comes to Chinese New Year, my uncle will buy a lot of new yr clothes for my cousins. This uncle of mine we stayed closed to each other, even till now and I'm pretty close to this cousins, often stayover at my aunt's house during the holidays and played barbie dolls. Their chinese new yr clothes, when they're kids, can amount to 10 sets! We will go Chinatown sometimes to shop for clothes tgt. Usually they say for kids since they grow very fast the parents will not buy so many clothes for them. But my mum, though we're poor, she will still buy a lot of clothes for me and my bro during new year. I can get 7 sets of new clothes and that's like a lot! When I was thinking back, I realised that my mum really sacrifice in the sense that she may not want me and my bro to think that how come other parents can afford to buy for their children so many new clothes while my parents, or rather my mother alone, can only afford one or two pieces? My cousins and friends will also get to keep their own ang bao whereas my mum will take back the ang bao money from us, except for the one she gave to us and our dad gave us. She said that this is because my dad nv give her money to bao the ang baos to the relatives, so it's only right that we return the money to her. Well...even up till now, I still give all my ang bao to my mum, even my bro... I can understand that it's not easy for her to fork out the money when she is only earning a meagre $800 per month and she has to feed 3 mouths and pay for the housing loan and utilities...My mum is definitely a good saver than myself.

I cannot imagine life without my mum by my side. I depend a lot on her. She still prepares breakfast for me, catch all the karkar - cockroaches and beetles for me in the house as whenever I see them I will just scream and jump on the sofa. she made the nicest Bo Bo Cha Cha i had ever tasted so far in my life. She will also try her best to buy bird nest and boil for me to drink knowing that my body constituent is not strong. I just hope to give her a better life even before she retires. I want to learn cooking from my mummy as she cooks nice food and she said it's important that i learn how to cook, not just to cook for my family in future but also eating outside is not healthy.

Mothers are the greatest person on earth one could ever asked for. Do cherish the times you spend with your family.

I love you, mummy!